Friday, September 16, 2011

Lost In Shadow for Wii

Lost in Shadow for the Wii is a game that is different enough to be interesting, but doesn't quite get interesting enough to keep my attention to finish it. I rented this a couple of week ago and at first, I was really into it.  You start out as a boy on the top of a tower tall enough make Saruman say, "That might be a little overboard."  An evil armored Vader-like monstrosity proceeds to sever your shadow from your body and hurl it 25,898 stories to the ground.

It's now up to your shadow to make its way up the tower to join back with its boy.  It's like when the Ghostbusters had to get to the top of the building to fight Gozer, but with more platforming.  The cool mechanic of the game is that as a shadow, you can only interact with shadows.  You don't run along a ledge, you run along the ledge's shadow.  When you encounter a random sword stuck in the ground, you don't pick up the sword, you get the shadow of the sword.

By the Power of Greyskull!!!!

All in all, it is a refreshing take on the platformer genre.   You hit switches, travel through ghostly shadow corridors, manipulate light to give you different perspectives, all very cool.  But after going through a few levels, that's all you keep doing.  There are a few shadow spiders and the like you fight along the way, but it becomes a lot of slash, slash, slash, jump back to avoid the swipe!  Rinse and repeat.  Which is what I felt the game did, rinse and repeat.

I've seen other reviews that say there's a little something that happens later in the game that sort of makes up for all the repetition, but as I said, this was a rental and I don't have a ton of time to begin with to spend on video games as much as I'd like, so I couldn't give it more than a few hours.  What little time I do have, I want to spend it with games that grip me and drag me along with its game play.  

Don't get me wrong, I like what the game is attempting, going in a bit of a different direction.  I just wish they would have done more with it.  I would say it's worth a rental, at least.  I don't think I'm gonna spend any more cash to buy it and finish it up, though.  

1 comment: